The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship was first introduced by the Canadian Government in the year 2008 as a tribute to George Philias Vanier. Georges P. Vanier was a renowned Canadian soldier and diplomat, who held the position of Governor-General of Canada from 1959 to 1967.
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships program aims to attract exceptionally skilled, talented, and bright students, whether they are Canadian nationals or foreign students residing in Canada. It has become an enticing opportunity for those seeking higher education in the country.
Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2023
The Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship has many benefits. Read the article to know everything about this scholarship.
- The scholars will receive a $50,000 grant every year for three years.
- Applicants can choose to do their Ph.D. at any Canadian university they prefer.
- The funding for the applicant’s studies will depend on their academic achievements, research proposal, and leadership qualities. It might cover all or part of their expenses.
To be eligible for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship, you must meet the following requirements:
- You can be a Canadian citizen or a foreign student studying in Canada.
- You should be pursuing a full-time Ph.D. program at a Canadian university.
- Your university must nominate you and be part of the Vanier CGS universities quota.
- This must be your first Ph.D. program, and you should not be receiving any other fellowships from CIHR, NSERC, or SSHRC for another doctoral program.
- You must have achieved a first-class average in your last two years of studies.
- If you are in joint professional degree programs (MD/Ph.D., DVM/Ph.D., JD/Ph.D.), only the Ph.D. part will be funded.
- Your research proposal should have a significant research component.
- You cannot be a faculty member at a university with a Vanier quota or any other institution; you must be granted leave for your Ph.D. program.
- You should be a full-time student, but in some cases, part-time enrollment may be allowed for students with disabilities or family support. In such cases, two months of part-time study will be considered one month of full-time study.
- Canadian Federal Government employees can be eligible only if they take unpaid leave from the government.
- You can apply for both Vanier and agency-specific Ph.D. scholarships, but if selected for more than one, you will have to choose one grant.
To apply for the Vanier Scholarships 2024, you will need to provide the following:
- A ResearchNet application form.
- Two reference letters.
- A CV/Resume.
- A one-page summary of your research contributions.
- A personal statement highlighting your leadership qualities.
- Two letters of reference that speak to your leadership abilities.
- Two pages research proposal.
- Project preferences in a maximum of five pages.
- Academic proofs, including transcripts and certificates.
- If you are a part-time student with special circumstances, provide proof in a document not exceeding 0.5 pages.
How to Apply?
- To apply for the Vanier Scholarships 2024, applicants cannot directly submit their applications. Instead, they need to apply to the Canadian institution that has the Vanier CGS quota.
- The University will then choose eligible candidates for the scholarship. The applicants must make sure to submit their applications before the internal submission dates set by each institution, as these dates may vary.
- Once the institution has selected its nominees, it will send their nominations to the Vanier CGS program before the closing date.
For the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship 2024, there are two important deadlines:
- Institution Internal Deadline: The deadline set by the candidate’s proposed institution will be available on ResearchNet. Each institution has its own internal deadline, and applicants must adhere to this specific deadline.
- Program Deadline: The deadline is November 1, 2023. Nominating institutions must ensure that they submit their nominations by this date.
To apply for the scholarship successfully, candidates must keep track of both the internal deadline set by their institution and the program deadline of November 1, 2023. It is crucial to follow these deadlines to be considered for the Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarship.